Sunday 27 July 2014

Models Own: Sweet Shop Collection Review

Hello all,

I am really excited about what I have to show you in this post... Who doesn't love gorgeous new polishes? And if that's not enough these ones are even more yummy as they smell just like sweets.  What could be better?

Models-own-sweet-shop.jpg

From left to right I have Fizzy Cola Bottles, Pear Drops, Rhubarb and Custard, and Gumball.  Also available is Liquorice Allsorts, but that's not one for me.  Keep reading for a closer look and to see what I think of the Sweet Shop collection.

Models-own-sweet-shop-1.jpg

I was in Westfield, right by the bottleshop and I wasn't going to go in, but my boyfriend, the sweet fiend, nudged me in their direction saying that I should get them.  I think there could have been a secret agenda behind his encouragement though!  Anyway, I did go in and he very kindly bought me the four from the collection that I liked.  I didn't go for Liquorice  Allsorts as I don't like the smell so it seemed a bit silly to get it just to have the whole set.

First of all I have to say these are all gorgeous colours and even if they weren't scented polishes I think they would be a brilliant addition to any collection.


First up I have Fizzy Cola Bottles

Models-own-fizzy-cola-bottles.jpg

I was surprised when I picked this one up to see that this one had glitter in, as I hadn't noticed that from the promo shots.  I guess it's to represent the sugar fizz of the sweets (this is the same with Pear Drops and Rhubarb and Custard).  It makes a nice addition to this neutral brown shade.  I am not normally one for brown shades, but I think this is just dark enough to show that you have a colour on your nails without looking like they are grubby.  Looking closely there is a very fine gold glitter running through the polish and some slightly larger specks as well adding to the overall sparkle.  This is the colour with two coats and no top coat.  It painted on beautifully but was a little streaky with one coat, I think it would be great in Autumn.  Now the smell... Just like what I would call 'proper sweet shop' cola bottles.  From first swipe as soon as it started to dry you could smell the cola.  The smell is really best once it's dry.

Next is Pear Drops

Models-own-pear-drops.jpg


This is a beautiful coral shade.  This shows it a little more red than in person.  Again this shows two coats and no top coat.  If painted really carefully you could get away with one coat of this as it goes on fairly evenly, but I think two looks more smooth.  The tiny glitter in this one gives it a lovely shimmer that really catches the light.  I think this is a great summery colour.  When I first started applying this one it smelled fruity, but I wasn't sure that I could smell pears, but as it dried the scent really developed.  Pear Drops it quite a strong smell, but oh so yummy.

Now on to Rhubarb and Custard

Models-own-rhubarb-and-custard.jpg

This one is a fairly sheer gelly like base with pretty silver glitter in it.  The first coat was quite patchy, but the second coat really made a difference.  I don't normally go for reds, but this one is really stunning.  I think the gelly like base of this made a difference for me.  As with the others this is two coats without a top coat and as you can see it's still really glossy.  I would say that this one has the strongest smell, so if you aren't keen on rhubarb this one probably isn't for you.  It reminds me of when I was younger as my dad had a big pot of rhubarb and custard lollipops in the car for when he was going to work.  This smells exactly like them.

Last, but no means least, Gumball

Models-own-gumballs.jpg

This is a pretty Barbie type pink and perfect for summer.  I love a good pink polish and this certainly fits in well with the rest of my collection.  It's fairly opaque and you could get away with one coat, but this is two, again with no top coat.  It went on really smoothly and started smelling like bubblegum as soon as it started to dry.  It's a very sweet scent and could be a little overpowering, but with a top coat the smell is muted slightly.  That being said I still really like it.

This is one time where you can safely say I was like a kid in a sweet shop at the bottleshop!  I couldn't really say which one was my favourite overall as they are all so delicious, but I think they are better than the Fruit Pastels.  What an excited release from Models Own.  Which ones do you think you will be getting?

Thanks for stopping by
Aimée x

6 comments:

  1. Pear Drops is beautiful. I desperately want to smell Bubblegum though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Such a bright coral! And in my opinion you can never go wrong with a bit of sparkle! Gumballs is lovely... They really do smell exactly like the sweets x

      Delete
  2. Great post Hun! I'll be honest, I will totally be getting all of these JUST because of the scents! ;) bubblegum or cola bottle nails? Yes please! Think I'm with you on the liquorice though, but knowing me that'll probably find it's way in to my stash too! ;)

    Aysh xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aysh! I really would recommend them! They really smell amazing! After doing my swatches my hands smelled like a sweet shop! Yum!

      Delete
  3. Hello there I am new to blogs and I would like to ask did models own send these to you for you to review? If so how did you get them to get you to review them please tell me? Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiran and welcome to blogging :-)

      Any posts where I have been sent a product for review are marked with a star (*) in the post title. The are also all labeled with the tag 'sample', which you can search for at the bottom of my blog. You can find out more about my posts under my disclaimer tab. As I explained in the post, I was very lucky and these ones were bought for me by my other half x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...