Monday 4 August 2014

Manicure Swap with The Imperfect 10: Pink Butterfly Wings Nail Artwith Tutorial

Hello all,

I had such fun recreating my own design last week for the monthly Polish Party theme, that when Rachel from The Imperfect 10 asked if I'd like to do either twin nails with her, or a manicure swap I went for it.

After a bit of discussion we decided to go for a swap, so I picked a design from her blog and she picked one from mine.  Then all that was left was to paint.

So here is my take on Rachel's pink butterfly wings

Barry-m-butterfly-wing-nail-art.jpg

Barry-m-butterfly-wing-nail-art-2.jpg

I hadn't ever done butterfly wing nails before, so this was the perfect opportunity.  I have seen them about quite a bit on Pinterest and in the blogging world, so they seem to be a bit of a nail art staple, so really, it was about time!

I really liked that Rachel hadn't done the wings on all nails as I think the black details could quite easily overpower the nails otherwise.  Here are the designs side by side

Butterfly-wing-nail-art-swap.jpg
My recreation on the left, Rachel's original on the right
As you can see Rachel went for a bright pink from Models Own, but I didn't have the same colour, so I chose to go for a pink gradient with two Barry M colours - Strawberry Ice Cream and Pink Flamingo.  I built up the colours in quite a few layers as I wasn't getting the coverage I wanted at first.  This meant that clean up was a nightmare though as the polish had dried on to my fingers in between.  Five cotton buds and a little nail brush later I was ready to add the details.

I used my black and white Barry M Nail Art Pens for the details as they are just so easy to work with.  For the non wing nails I added single dots of black and white down the edges as my double dots with black and white looked too messy.  Then it was on to the wings themselves.  I have put together this mini tutorial on how to create butterfly wings in 5 easy steps.  I hope you find it easy to work from - sorry it's shown on a nail wheel rather than my own nails.


Butterfly-wing-nail-art-tutorial.jpg


1. Start with a curved line near the cuticles
2. Then add thee long lines down the nail towards the tip
3. Add tiny curved lines in between the long lines you just created
4. Fill in the tip of the nail with black
5. Once dry add tiny white dots to finish off the look

Don't forget to take a look at Rachel's recreation of my design as well, she went for my pastel rainbow ombré manicure.


Pastel-rainbow-nail-art-swap.jpg
Rachel's recreation on the left and my original on the right
How do you think we both did?

Thanks for stopping by
Aimée x

4 comments:

  1. I love the nails! The gradient is so pretty. I've never tried butterfly wings before.

    I'll head over to Rachel's blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the gradient worked out in the end as it was not going very well for some time. I think the colours I used were a bit thin for it, but layering worked in the end!

      Wings are fun to do and I'm pleased with how they turned out in the end x

      Delete
  2. This is lush!! Looks so pretty and waaaaaay better than mine! Lol!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think they all look great! It's a great challenge to recreate someone else's design x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...