Monday 11 August 2014

Triplet Nails: Water Spotted Nail Art

Hello all,

As you may remember, back in June I did triplet nails with Lauren from The Naily Mail and Madison from Fundamentally Flawless.  We decided that because we enjoyed the challenge so much that we would choose another nail art technique to have a go at.  This time round we have gone for water spotted nails.

Water-spotted-nail-art-with-bottle.jpg


I had all sorts of plans for these nails, and was going to try and be fancy by marbling three colours together then water spotting them, but I had issues with my colours spreading and being able to work quickly enough, so I went for something a little more simple in the end with white and blue. See my top tip at the end of the post for saving time on clean up if you fancy trying these nails yourself.

The technique is similar to water marbling.  You add drops of polish to room temperature water and let it spread out.  At this point you then take something with a high alcohol content in a spray bottle and carefully spritz it over the surface of the polish.  This causes the polish to separate into water spots.  I have mainly read that it's done with hand sanitiser, but I didn't have any that was liquid in a spray bottle, so I used a combination of perfume and hairspray.

I found that the perfume gave the polish on the surface of the water a web type look and then a single spritz of hairspray over the top made the polish sort of shrink a bit making it more holey!  You then simply choose the bit of polish where the pattern looks the best and dip your finger in it, nail parallel with the water.

I started off with a base of two coats of Models Own Snow White and then used L.A. Colors, Color Craze in Wired for the water spots.  I love that the white shines through really clearly making the blue really pop.

Madison has gone for a bright neon combination, using Models Own Polish for Tans and Ice Neon collections.  This is brilliant for summer.


Lauren has used Barry M white, gold and black which reminds me of a precious gem stone.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...